Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Chicago Dog ~ A Love Affair


Imagine my surprise when we returned home from a morning out looking at real estate. Sitting in front of our rear door was a big box labeled Portillo's. For those who may not recognize the name, Portillo's has been a Chicago Hot Dog institution for nearly 50 years. I knew immediately who the package was from (our Chicago based researcher) and I knew what was inside (what else would it be other than the obvious, Chicago Dogs).

I am no stranger to Chicago Dogs. At least I didn't think I was. I've had many a Chicago Dog, in fact I had one last Saturday at a nearby hot dog joint named after the Chicago delicacy. To be frank (pun intended) I have never been all that impressed. I didn't entirely get the slice of tomato, sport pepper, celery salt "thing." It was NBD (no big deal). Even hearing from Debbie on ocassion raving of these wonderful Chicago treats. I didn't get it.


Well, it was a great afternoon in the research kitchen. The Chicago Hot Dog kit came complete with all the ingredients required to make the perfect Chicago Hot Dog as well as assembly instructions.

For Hot Diggity, it was one Chicago Dog, light on the sport pepper. For Tree (yes, that's her name and that's her pictured to the right), it was one Chicago Dog, extra sport pepper. And for me, two Chicago Dogs, authentic.

I am a convert. These Chicago Dogs were unbelievable. It was like a smorgasbord of flavors all put in your mouth at once. My mouth was a very happy place.

Yank's Franks will certainly have Chicago Dogs on the menu, and they will be served properly.

Thank you, Chicage for your great research and for the b'day gift.
.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You made a perfect Chicago Hot Dog! (To me, that also looks top-loaded.) Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Maine Yellow Pages
My blog is listed in the Big Blog Collection
Blog Search Engine
BlogCatalog
Bloggy Award