Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Yank's Franks Restaurant Review ~ When Pigs Fly



I have reviewed several Hot Dog Joints and now I have decided to branch out and review other great restaurants. This is the first of these reviews, but won't be the last.

When Hot Diggity and I relocated to Maine ten years ago, she asked me, "when will Southern Maine get a great pizza joint?" I told her, "when pigs fly!" Well, as it turns out, I was correct (it doesn't happen that often).

Hot Diggity and I decided to have lunch today at When Pigs Fly. We headed south on route 1 and took note that at 11:55 am, the Flo's Hot Dogs parking lot had 2 cars out front. A little further south, one of my favorite hamburger joints, Wild Willy's had just 6 cars (2 of which were likely employees) at just about 12:00 noon. A little further south and we drove out of York and into Kittery, straight to When Pigs Fly and their parking lot was nearly full. I'd guess about 25-30 cars.

When Pigs Fly has a retail store where you can purchase a variety of items including their artisan breads. Warning~~if you are on a diet or simply watching your calories, do not go into this part of the building. Their breads are just ridiculous! I'm not lying, they are crazy good.

The majority of the building is the restaurant and today, Hot Diggity and I had pizza on our minds. While one pizza may have been enough for the two of us, we had different ideas as to or toppings of choice.

Hot Diggity selected their Four Cheese pizza (pictured on the right in the photo). In addition to Mozzarella, Fontina, Provolone and Pecorino Romano her pie had Spanish style salami, Peppadew (what the heck is that?) and blah, blah, blah a few other things.

My pizza was the House-Made Chirizo Sausage with Chopped Jalapenos (pictured on the left). It had other stuff, but when you have Chirizo and Jalapenos, the other stuff doesn't matter that much. It was delicious! I also had a piece of Hot Diggity's pizza and it was amazing as well.

The menu at When Pigs Fly had plenty of other offering like soups, salads and sandwiches that sounded really good, but don't pass by the pizza. It's made with fresh, tasty ingredients and it's baked in a wood-fired oven.

The When Pigs Fly restaurant is a must, but don't go into the retail store unless you are trying to bulk up.

Frankly, Hot Diggity and Yank love good food (and we love sharing it with you)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maine Yellow Pages
My blog is listed in the Big Blog Collection
Blog Search Engine
BlogCatalog
Bloggy Award