Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bolley's Famous Franks ~ Hallowell, Maine


Today's research field trip took Double Dog Dennis, The Hot Dog King and me to Bolley's Famous Franks in Hallowell, Maine.

My first impression of Bolley's was, WOW! they are packed. We arrived just after noon time and we had to wait for a parking space.

Once inside we ordered. The HDK had a burger and fries. One of the reasons we came to Bolley's was The HDK had stopped here for lunch many months back and couldn't say enough good things about the fries. DDD ordered a burger and large onion rings. Apparently they both forgot that we were at a hot dog joint. For me it was two dogs, one with mustard and sauteed onions and the other was the chili dog. I find myself ordering a chili dog everywhere and using it as a standard by which to judge hot dog joints (and I love chili dogs).

For dessert The HDK ordered us all donuts, homemade of course.


Both DDD and The HDK reported that their burgers were very good. They looked good. My hot dogs (Old Neighborhood natural casing dogs) were both good, the chili was good and the sauteed onions were very good. The chili was not authentic hot dog chili, but it was good and that is what counts. The only thing I didn't care for was the bun. It was steamed, which makes it too soggy for me. I know many people prefer their bun steamed, but I'm not one of them. Both the rings and the fries were also good, but even The HDK said they were much better during his last visit. On the other hand, the donuts were probably made that morning and probably would have tasted better when they were fresh. The donuts we had were very bad.

When in Hallowell, I'll gladly go to Bolley's and enjoy the hot dogs, the fries and the rings, but I'll steer clear of the donuts next time. I'll also try a burger with my dogs next time. Thanks Bolley's for a good lunch.

Check out tomorrow's article here at the blog and find out where we stopped next. Just as a teaser, they had awesome Homemade Crinkle Cut French Fries (very rare and very good).

Frankly, Yank's Franks serves the BEST dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maine Yellow Pages
My blog is listed in the Big Blog Collection
Blog Search Engine
BlogCatalog
Bloggy Award