Saturday, January 28, 2012

Long Time Hot Dog Manufacturer Grote & Weigel to Shut Down

After 122 years in business, popular Connecticut hot dog manufacturer Grote & Weigel will soon close their doors.

While the closing will not impact Yank's Franks (Yank's has always used Hummel Bros. hot dogs) it is very sad to see this long time business succumb to our terrible economy.

One of the Hot Dog Joints that will feel the impact is Doogie's Hot Dogs. Grote & Weigel supplies (supplied) all Doogie's hot dogs, but the one product that will be most difficult to replace is Doogie's Two-Foot Hot Dog. Yes, that's right, 2 feet of encased deliciousness. For a photo of this delicious piece of hot dog history click here.

Doogie's is interviewing other hot dog manufacturers to see if they can talk them into supplying two-footers. To be honest, I think they will find a replacement, but my question is, where do you get a two foot hot dog bun?

Neither Hot Diggity nor I have ever been to Doogie's, but I can assure you that if we are able to make it there before they run out of two-footers, that's what I'll be ordering.

Frankly, I want a hot dog for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maine Yellow Pages
My blog is listed in the Big Blog Collection
Blog Search Engine
BlogCatalog
Bloggy Award